1. Intentions and references
- Use of contrast and intensity curves (semantic, pictorial, spatial).
- Level structure and rhythm.
- TLPM matrix and learning of mechanics.
- Looking for references.
2. Workshop and sketches
- Bricks and level design workshops using all the game mechanics.
- Tests of game situations.
- Define the metrics.
3. Level structure
- Shaping the topography.
- Adding main landmarks and points of view (composition).
4. Primary Blockout
- Construction of a finishable level.
- Set up initial tests to see the first problems.
- Working on ways to guide the player through the level.
5. 2nd Iteration blockout
- Improve the level by adding some details (environmental storytelling).
- Implement the first assets guiding the player.
- Make many playtests.
- Improve the level iteratively.